Monday, March 17, 2014

Post 5
The past week we have done a lot of stuff. We learned about American culture and how different it is then others. Americans tend to be more individualized and really care a lot about the future. What really shocked me was that other countries have American themed party's and all the party's had red solo cups. I know that I am effected from American culture because of my huge value to go to college and get a job afterwards. But as for the family part of American culture I am fighting against American Values because as of right now I don't know if I want to get married. The past few days we watched Tuesdays with Morrie and it was a sad movie but more of a lesson. Morrie tried to teach Mitch about the important things in life and how those important things are the ones to spend the most of your time on if you want to be happy. I think that most Americans are afraid of death. Yes death is a taboo topic who are afraid to die but those who aren't afraid to die don't mind talking about death. Materialism and death can be related to each other through how people tend to work themselves to death because of certain materialistic values people have. I also tried the 10 minutes of doing nothing and I tried to think of nothing but it was almost impossible for me because my mind kept drifting off into thinking of what I'm doing later that day, who I was going to be with, and where I was going to be. I think this is due to the fact that I'm extremely busy and my mind is always thinking about the future but I know now that if I don't enjoy the little things in life they will be gone. For example I've been waiting to go on spring break with my friends for months but its all I can think about so I am losing out on the happiness that's right in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment