Tuesday, May 27, 2014

For the past two weeks we have been learning about race through group talks, movies, and even a race panel. I have learned by being a white male I automatically have an advantage over others. In America I realized that white is the norm but anything besides white is considered wrong. Some stereotypes I learned of in the race panel was that not all blacks are athletic and that some people are offended by the term African American. I also learned in "White Like Me" that we can't just ignore the racism problem we have to do something about it because otherwise it will never get fixed. Some people don't realize but they can be unintentionally racist I know that when I'm walking alone in the city and a black person walks next to me I get a little nervous. I know its a bad thing but it's my unconscious rascist.

1 comment:

  1. I was also surprise that some people don't want to be called African American because I was taught that that is a better thing to say than black.

    ReplyDelete