Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Post 2

Through the past week we have been learning about sociological mindfulness, imagination, and social construction of reality. We read a few short stories. The outliers was extremely interesting and is something I hope my community can eventually adapt. The short story was about how people who treat each other nicely and help one another out live longer than those who do not. I hope when I'm older and I move into a town, it'll be similar to the town Roseto. After learning about sociological mindfulness, I applied it to a situation in my life when my sister was acting out, not thinking about what she was doing, but rather what caused her to do this. It opened my eyes to seeing her perspective on the situation. As she was screaming, instead of telling her to be quiet, I asked her what happened that day, and realized that's what caused her to act out. She told me that her and one of her friends were fighting and I gave her some advice to help her. I'm excited to learn more about viewing the world in a different perspective.

3 comments:

  1. Totally can relate to the example about your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me a lot of dealing with my brothers. Sometimes it's best to find the root of their problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool - I bet approaching your sister like that really helped her and she appreciated it (even if she would not admit that. I would like for you to explain the connection to the reading a little more (like how exactly is that story an example of sociological imagination).

    ReplyDelete